Monday, May 4, 2009

Holding back the tears

In the past two days bailey has taken a significant turn for the worse. I have know for over a year and a half now that she was going to be making her transition yet somehow it is so much harder than I thought it would be. Watching her struggle to breath just breaks my heart. We are giving her morphine every eight hours to help her not feel like she is suffocating but it still is so hard to watch.

She is so weak now that it took her all day to move from the dinning room to the living room. She takes two really wobbly steps and falls over and rests for several hours. She stopped eating and drinking yesterday. I know y'all don't want all the details but I am really sad about loosing such a sweet and endearing pet and it helps me somehow to express that. It seems so odd that I can't hear her purring or snoring from the other side of the room. We are doing our best to keep her comfortable but it is hard to know what exactly she needs.

This is bailey this evening, resting on the kitchen floor. Shortly after this I moved her to one of the puppy pillows (see below) and she seemed much happier and stayed there the rest of the evening. Although it is hard to tell seeing as she can't purr anymore.

My eyes are nearly out of tears for the evening and she has not even passed yet. Luckily I have the day off tomorrow and I get to spend the day with Bailey, Alex, Eve and Gardner. There will be so much love in the house that it will hopefully keep my tears at bay.

No comments: