Friday, September 16, 2011

A weekend adventure - Day # 1

Alex is taking classes again so can't get away for more than a few days at a time.  We were both in need of a bit of time away from the "grind" so we packed up Matthew and our stuff last minute and head out.  We decided to drive to Aspen and check out the hot air balloon festival in Snowmass.   We new it was gonna be a bit of a long drive for Matthew but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

We decided to take the scenic route over independence pass and boy am I glad we did!  The drive was stunning.  The aspen trees are starting to turn and the highway is almost all above 10,000 feet so the view are absolutely stunning!  I have a real bad cold so I didn't have the energy to put into taking a lot of pictures but I did snap a few along the way.

The views just kept getting better and better. 

So pretty!

Break time at the top of independence pass... over 12,000 ft. 

"Hi mom, it's really cold up here but I don't care and I  don't want you to carry me up... I can walk.. I don't care if it is taking forever and my fingers and nose are freezing off."  Seems to be that he is as stubborn as his parents. 

Cheerios!!! 

More cheerios!  Yummy!!!

View from the short walk up to the top of the pass. 

yeah a table to bang on!  Matthew you and I played in the park while daddy checked into our hotel. 

Yippee! We are finally here... we changed our clothes and headed out to dinner.  Notice what good dental hygiene my son has.  Yes... that is a toothbrush he is chewing on. 

We went to dinner at a great Spanish restaurant and now my cold is kicking my butt so I am off to bed.  Check back tomorrow for hopefully some more fun pictures of our fun weekend away. 


No comments: