Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Aliens in my tummy???

After three days of levaquin (a very strong antibiotic) I am still unable to eat or keep most things down. I have decided that I have been infected with an alien that is growing slowing in my tummy and taking over my gut. I even went as far today as to see the Guatemalan doctor at our school. He listened to my story, examined me and then basically said he had no idea what was wrong with me since I don't have diarrhea. So either I am crazy or I have been possessed by aliens. Alex likes to think that I am crazy but my vote is for the aliens (and no mom, I am not pregnant, that I no for sure!). I am just really glad, after my experience in the clinic here, that I got my medical training in the states.

Alex wanted a hearty lunch today and one where he knew what he was eating. So we went to an "expensive" ($6 a plate) french restaurant. We ate here once last week and Alex had some outstanding pork. Today he ordered the same dish but with what he thought was a different sauce. When he got is plate and I got my tea, he looked at me and sheepishly asked.... rinones isn't the Spanish word for a type of sauce is it? So what did he get you ask? Pork kidneys! Yummy!! He actually really liked it.

Alex refused to smile for yet another picture of him eating but I just had to capture him enjoying his pork kidneys. He said they were well prepared because they didn't smell like urine. Who knew he was such an expert in cooking kidneys?

I couldn't resist taking a picture of this "unloved dog of central America". As is the case in many of the third world countries I have visited, I am amazed by the breeds of dog that rome the streets. In Peru there were tons of "wild" chows but this is the first one I have seen here. I just wanted to take it home with me and give it a bath.

You can see the Chow in him more in the picture below. It really was a beautiful dog, despite its manginess and the pictures don't do it justice.

No comments: