Monday, June 1, 2009

first day of class

No pictures today. I am having serious technical difficulties and my last two post are lost somewhere in Latin American cyberspace. Maybe I will retrieve them soon and get them posted.

Our first breakfast with our family was great! It consisted of some type of mush with sweet cookies in it, scrambled eggs and beans. And of course coffee and tea. The bummer about the coffee is that all of Guatemala’s good coffee is sent to other countries so the stuff we have had so far has been really pretty gross but no complaints from us the rest of breakfast was great!

Our shower this morning was truly an experience. We are up in the mountains at about 5,000 ft and it gets really cold at night. Our bathroom is open to the outside and has no real door. The hot water basically drips out of the electric hot water heater (just like the one I posted from the Hotel). Needless to say, the fresh morning air really wakes you up!  And Alex said he made it through his shower and only hit his head on the ceiling once. He is such a fast learner it’s amazing.

Our first day of class went well. We started at 8am and each meet with a teacher for 5 hours with only one 15 minute break. I think we both learned a lot but man, I had forgotten how tiring it was to speak in a foreign language for that long. After class we went back to our “family” and had lunch. Today we had rice and fried cauliflower. Alex loved it and I chocked it down. It really was good I just really hate cauliflower. Oh well, maybe I will learn to eat more veggies while I am here.

We had a typical afternoon thunder storm today and the power went out everywhere. Alex’s only comment was, “no wonder engineering is such a respectable profession here, when a simple rain storm takes out the power grid for the city. “ Gotta love it!!!

No comments: