Thursday, June 11, 2009

Return of the rain

I knew four days straight of sun was too much to ask for but at least the torrential downpours waited until the end of our day today. My teacher and I went up on the roof or our building today to get some air and pictures just didn't do it justice so I gave the video camera feature on my camera a try.


After class Alex and I went to Fuentes Georginas. It is a place about 45 minutes from Xela where scalding hot water runs out of the mountain/volcano into pools. The water is full of minerals and sulfur and the locals believe that drinking it cures stomach problems. We just enjoyed being in really hot water for the first time in two weeks! There were three pools of varying degrees in temperature. The pools were surrounded by beautiful jungle type mountain landscape.

On the way to Fuentes we drove through several adorable little pueblos where they grow most of the vegetables that we eat in the US. The fields are up on the mountain sides at such sharp angles that I swear they must have to use ropes and crampons to keep from falling down the mountain side. I tired to get some pictures but the windows on the bus were really dirty and I had a hard time getting pictures through the trees and phone lines.
Town near by the hot springs.
Fields

Unfortunately because of where I was sitting in the bus, I couldn't get any pictures of the fields that seemed to literally be at a 90 angle on the mountain side but this one gives you an idea at least.

The "hot" pool at Fuentes. The water came out of the rocks at the back.

Landscape around the pools. It was really foggy, steamy everywhere - i.e. a cloud forest.

Alex and I soaking our bones in the literally scalding hot water.

No comments: