Monday, June 15, 2009

Be Serious - could it really have been Bacillus-cereus

So...Alex and I had great plans for this past weekend....however, the key word in that phrase is HAD. We traveled up to Chichicastenago on Friday. We had great weather and the ride was much shorter than expected. Alex wanted a steak, he said he was tired of beans, can you imagine that? So off we went to a "nice", by Guatemalan standards, to dinner in chichi. The story continues below:

View from the bus on the way to Chichi.

Up into the mountains we headed.

More pretty countryside on the way to Chichi. You would not believe how sharp the hairpin turns are here, and one right after another. And they take them going 50 mph in an old school bus. At time it is downright scary!!!

So you may be wondering what this is a picture of. Well, when I say we take chicken buses, I mean it. This lady had a live chicken on her lap and what I presume is a dead turkey under her seat. What you are seeing here are the feathers of the turkey next to Alex's large gringo foot. I was trying to sneak a picture without being really obvious.

Lots of town around here have these cute little Tuk-tuks that function like taxis. I think they are so incredibly cute!

Our FANTASTIC steak dinner. Oh how I wish we wouldn't have!!! There is a type of bacteria call bacillus-cereus that lives in reheated rice. And Alex traded me his rice for my avocados. Well, apparently the rice was teaming with B-Cereus because I have been vomiting ever since!

I won't go into any great details but lets just say the symptoms didn't start until we were in route (3 hour) trip to Nebaj which UGH was a true adventure trying not to puke all over our excessively crowded minibus full of people.

Remember if you don't want to get sick, boil you water before you drink it.

Chichi has the largest Sunday market in all of Central America and indeed it was huge!! I loved the part where they sell their produce. Chicken or turkey or cat anyone?

I don't know what to say about this one...these are real live chicks and yes they are actually florescent colors. How strange!

Women selling goods at the market.

Hmm which type of beans should I eat today?

Little old lady carries very large bag on her head through very crowded narrow market streets. How does she do it?

The fruit looks sooooo good but the problem is that it is covered in bees and flies.

Mayan altar with sacrifices burning and a drunk guy passed out behind it.

I finally got a picture of a little girl.

Not a chicken bus but rather a chicken minibus. I hope it doesn't get too cold for them up there.

1 comment:

Tina Raborn said...

Staci - I LOVE this blog! My name is Tina, I'm a 30 yr old, married, mother of two toddlers. I'm leaving to spend a month in Xela on June 28th! This will be my first trip out of the US, and I'm super excited and nervous. I'm having so much fun reading your blog. Will you still be in Xela when I get there? I would love to meet you and Alex. Is there anything I can bring for you from the States? Face soap? It would be my pleasure! You can email me at TinaRaborn@gmail.com .