Monday, June 15, 2009

The day of the plastic bag

When I woke up on Saturday morning I didn't feel great but figured I was just tired. We caught a bus to the nearby town of Quiche and wow was it crowded. I was smashed - literally against the front windshield with the gearshift in my butt and the edge of the open door in my face, and I was thinking to myself, why again am I doing this.... By the time we got off I was feeling sick to my stomach but figured it was do to how hot the overcrowded bus was. I new something was seriously wrong when 20 minutes into the ride (again in a very crowded minibus) I started to ....aaaaa...hmmmm...how do I put it nicely.....I started begging Alex for a plastic bag.

By the time we arrived in Nebaj I thought I was going to die! I had a fever and was totally in a daze. We tried to walk around this entirely Mayan town but I almost passed out. At that point we climbed back into a hot as hell very crowded minibus for another 3 hours of hairpin turns and crazy driving. At that point I knew I shouldn't have tried to eat eggs for lunch! The next day (Sunday) was market day but because I felt so bad, I was in no mood to buy anything at the huge market, so I may not be coming home with many gifts. Sorry guys! Alex bought some really ugly pants though.

Below are what few pictures I have of Nebaj:

The church in the middle of the town.

Who knew they really existed, I just thought they did commercials.

No comments: