Sunday, June 21, 2009

It is still raining like crazy!!!

First of all, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to my dad and any other dad reading this. Hope is was a good one, dad, sorry I couldn't be there to celebrate it with you!

We are enjoying some super "chill" time (as Alex likes to put it) in Panajachel. It never stopped raining after it started yesterday afternoon. We slept in since I was not thrilled about spending an hour in a boat to get across the very rough lake to visit other towns to walk around in the extreme down pours. We did finally brave the rain around 10 and headed to the lake shore, after doing some very important shopping of course.

This town, just like all the rest in Guatemala, has a ton of stray dogs. The difference is that here the dogs are VERY well fed. They sit next to the "gringos" in the restaurants begging for food. I am usually really good about not feeding them but this one dog seems to find us no matter where we go. He had both lunch and dinner with us yesterday and found us again today for lunch. So I finally broke down and gave him some of my pizza crust. I know I shouldn't have but I just couldn't resist any longer.

Sweet puppy, I wish I could give him a bath and bring him home to play with the GDB puppies. But alas.

Alex and I took a self portrait while sitting in a lake side restaurant trying to warm up and dry off a bit with a cup of hot tea. The town lost power this morning due to the rain so they boiled our water over a fresh hot fire.
One of the lake front streets.

While we were enjoying our Tea we heard some singing and I looked out the restaurant window and saw a group of people being baptized in the lake. The lake is freezing cold, you would have to really believe to do a full body dunk in that ice cold water!

Entrance to our Hotel.

Tomorrow is a travel day. We are braving a long bus ride into Guatemala city and then catching a flight up to Flores to visit the ruins of Tikal for a few days. We are planning to stay in a remote town closer to the ruins and I don't know what the internet access will be like. Hopefully I will have some great pictures to post of Tikal soon! I am super excited to see them and hopefully some wildlife (monkeys, tucans, mecaws, and I am sure lots of gringo too).

1 comment:

lauren said...

Have a great time!